A-G requirements are the courses that students need to take and pass to be eligible to apply to any 4 year California College. Cooper Academy offers students the opportunity to take Spanish I, Spanish II, Spanish for Native Speakers I, Spanish for Native Speakers II and Algebra 1. Students who take and pass all available A-G classes at Cooper will leave with 30 high school credits and will have met the minimum requirements for Area E – Language other than English.
- History/social science (“a”) – Two years, including one year of world history, cultures and historical geography and one year of U.S. history, or one-half year of U.S. history and one-half year of American government or civics.
- English (“b”) – Four years of college preparatory English that integrates reading of classic and modern literature, frequent and regular writing, and practice listening and speaking.
- Mathematics (“c”) – Three years of college-preparatory mathematics that include or integrate the topics covered in elementary and advanced algebra and two- and three-dimensional geometry.
- Laboratory science (“d”) – Two years of laboratory science providing fundamental knowledge in at least two of the three disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics.
- Language other than English (“e”) – Two years of the same language other than English or equivalent to the second level of high school instruction.
- Visual and performing arts (“f”) – One year chosen from dance, music, theater or the visual arts.
- College-preparatory elective (“g”) – One year chosen from the “a-f” courses beyond those used to satisfy the requirements above, or courses that have been approved solely in the elective area.